Nazwa forum

Opis forum

#1 2010-11-07 11:14:42

Seler34

Useful peoples

My hard style

depawindu

Favorite Poems, Books or Authors
I know with so many parts of the world represented on this forum; there must be a wealth of beloved poems, books and authors. What's yours?
One of my favorites is Oscar Wildes BALLAD OF READING GAOL:"... Yet each man kills the thing he loves, By each let this be heard; Some do it with a bitter look, Some with a flattering word; The coward does it with a kiss, The brave man with a sword. Some kill their love when they are young, and some when they are old; Some strangle with the hands of lust, some with the hands of gold; the kindest use a knife, because, the dead so soon grow cold. Some love too little, Some too long..."

Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:46 am     

oxy
Master Chatter

Re: Favorite Poems, Books or Authors
Read The Bible - there you will see what love can do - mostly bad. For new generations this book will be forbidden.

Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:33 am     

staticon

I was always partial to this one by Victorian poetess, Eliza Cook:

THE BOATMEN OF THE DOWNS.

There's fury in the tempest, and there's madness in the waves ;
The lightning snake coils round the foam, the headlong thunder raves;
Yet a boat is on the waters, filled with Britain's daring sons,
Who pull like lions out to sea, and count the minute guns.
'Tis Mercy calls them to the work a ship is in distress !
Away they speed with timely help that many a heart shall bless :
And braver deeds than ever turned the fate of kings and crowns
Are done for England's glory, by her Boatmen of the Downs !

We thank the friend who gives us aid upon the quiet land ;
We love him for his kindly word, and prize his helping hand ;
But louder praise shall dwell around the gallant ones who go,
In face of death, to seek and save the stranger or the foe.
A boat is on the waters when the very sea-birds hide :
'Tis noble blood must fill the pulse that's calm in such a tide !
And England, rich in record of her princes, kings, and crowns,
May tell still prouder stories of her Boatmen of the Downs.

On a side note, I live quite close to Reading Gaol where Wilde was incarcerated.

myspace.com/morestatgrav - Updated July '09 with 10 new tracks

Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:39 pm     

eRIC
Master Chatter

Aside the Bible ,

=>Some of the best books I've read are books about and for youth 

"Pied-de-biche" ( "Hind’s feet" OR "Crowbar"  ) by Michel Bouts. A book without any pretension about the adventures of a band of teenager boys. This book is still quite fresh in my memory dozens of years after

“La guerre des Boutons” (which could be translated by “buttons war” ) by Louis Pergaud. The funny story of a band of young scoundrels who were at odds with a band of young scoundrels from the nearby village  , this took placed at the beginning of the 19th century.

=> Favourite poems :
Liberté (liberty) by Paul Eluard. A poem that is not in rhymes. My dad read it at our marriage with great style (  ) , he knew that i would appreciate it . 

the Odes of Solomon (not written by king Salomon but they are known by that name) remarkable for the ancient middle-eastern phrasing style

Currently reading The heavenly man by brother Yun , a biography relating the trials of this chinese guy who was imprisoned , delivered , betrayed , etc….because of his faith. Great read !

Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:54 pm     

vimmers
Master Chatter

my favourite is Wilbur smith http://www.wilbursmithbooks.com/
ive read many of his books

Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:19 pm       

Marksdad
Mod

I enjoy poetry (I love the patterns and use of the words) and have many that I enjoy reading over and over again.They can soothe;inspire;brighten or depress!
I think my favourite is Dulce et Decorum est by the tragic World War 1 poet,Wilfred Owen. I learnt this by heart as a young teenager for a school project and have never forgotten it! (The full title - Dulce et decorum est,pro patria mori - translates as 'it is a wonderful honour to die for your country'). It describes the experience of being at the Front. A real downer,but deeply affecting:

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of gas shells,dropping softly behind.

Gas! Gas! Quick, boys! – An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling,
And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime . . .
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering,choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
Pro patria mori.

Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:24 pm     

depawindu

What wonderful replys; I can't wait to read each of your authors at length! You're right, Oxy, the bible certainly shows the great tragedies of lost loves: such as Samson's betrayal by Delilah and David's great love for Bathsheba, his betrayal of her husband and the loss of his son. It's the story of great loves and great sacrifices; the indomitable spirit of man to overcome loss and create empires.
Staticon, such a wonderful poem of man against the forces of nature out of control! What has become of Reading Gaol now? I always liked the stories of how Wilde, all dressed in finery, came to the American coal mines, sat, drank and regaled the miners for hours with his wit.
Eric, Liberte' reminds us all of how individual freedom affects every aspect of our lives and what great sacrifices were made to keep it. What a rewarding and tragic life the author had.
Vimmers: Wilbur Smiths books sound so exciting; a bit of everything: romance, adventure...
Marksdad: I've seen so many young men at the VA hospital, wondered what was behind their eyes; I'll never wonder again! Truly a powerful poem!
Thank you all for sharing!

Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:47 am     

depawindu

I thought many gentleman could appreciate this little poem by D.H. Lawrence:
TO WOMEN AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED [b]
The feelings I don't have, I don't have
The feelings I don't have, I won't say I have
The feelings you say you have, you don't have
The feelings you would like us both to have, we neither of us have
The feelings people ought to have, they never have
If people say they've got feelings, you may be pretty sure they haven't got them
So if you want either of us to feel anything at all
You'd better abandon all idea of feelings altogether

Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:05 am     

staticon

depawindu wrote:
What has become of Reading Gaol now?
It is still there but is now a young offenders institute.

Not a particularly high security establishment.

We had another famous inmate at the Jail - Stacy Keach, the TV, film and stage actor famed for his TV series, Hammer, in the 1980's(?).
wikipedia wrote:
In 1984, London police arrested Keach at Heathrow Airport for carrying cocaine. Keach pleaded guilty, and served a 9 month sentence at Reading Prison.

myspace.com/morestatgrav - Updated July '09 with 10 new tracks

Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:29 am     

Jorge22
Master Chatter

Well, I like my own writing (poems and prose), but maybe that sounds a bit narcisistic, so... Some of my favourite authors are Baudelaire (especially Le Spleen de Paris), Fernando Pessoa (especially under his assumed name Álvaro de Campos), Manuel Bandeira (a great Brazilian modernist poet), Hemingway, Amin Maalouf, Eça de Queirós, the one who wrote The Razor's Edge (sorry, I have amnesia right now and my house is empty, so I can't check the books right now), José Saramago, Orhan Pamuk, Carlos Ruiz Zafón and a few more. I also love to read Steven Saylor's roman novels and even Dan Brown. Sorry about all those I forgot.

Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:31 pm     

Howaito

I prefer authors such as Frances Burnett, Lewis Carroll and Frank L. Baum. I just adore fantasy worlds and stories where things go right for the characters. I'm also partial to that story Journey to the West by Wu Ch'eng.

I do fancy misery sometimes, so dabble in Virginia Andrews.

Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:19 pm     

depawindu

What a wonderful assortment of reading material you all have experienced!
Staticon: I can't even imagine what it must be like to walk the floors of Reading Gaol now; "If walls could talk". I had no idea about Stacey Keach! I have always appreciated that there is a sense of history in the UK; In Florida, there are very few landmarks that still exist from my childhood.
Jorge22: I would love to read some of your own poetry! You should share it with us! I understand the amnesia reference; I have had to recycle many of my favorite books because the Florida weather ruins them. I am particularly upset about a book that had writings from Beowulf to the early 20th century. The only work of Somerset Maugham I have read is OF HUMAN BONDADGE.
Howaito: I too like fantasy and books with happy endings. I believe Eric mentioned that sometimes young peoples books have much to bring to us. As adults we are able to lend our wider experiences to the stories. I read several of the Harry Potter books, the Lemony Snicketts until I just gave up the children as their lives never seemed to improve. I am now reading the Twilight Series; I was curious after the extreme popularity of the movie. I read FLOWERS IN THE ATTIC, it was just so heart rendering! Isn't it supposed to be based on a true story?

Has anyone read Milton's PARADISE LOST? I read it many years ago; but can't remember if it really had the quote so often used about It's being better to reign in hell....? 

Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:44 pm     

Howaito

The series beginning with Flowers in the Attic is one of my favourites, yet I don't know if it is based on a true story. I hope not!

Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:54 pm     

Marksdad
Mod

After all these news stories lately about young family members and kids being kept in basements/tents/what-have-you - it isn't far from reality!

Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:58 pm     

depawindu

Howaito wrote:
The series beginning with Flowers in the Attic is one of my favourites, yet I don't know if it is based on a true story. I hope not!

I had no idea it was part of a series; I read an edited version in school. I believe that there was a note at the beginning of the movie which said,"based on a true story"; but you know, artistic license and all.

Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:42 pm 

I liked this forum as you,users,really I want you here beacuse forum can't be empty!

Stopka forum

RSS